Grand Haven Lighthouse

Grand Haven Lighthouse
sunset

Saturday, February 27, 2010

14 Months of work to no avail

I am very very depressed right now.  I have been working so hard to get that job that I was a temp for and then when my temping contract was up I was hired as a sub.  Anyway, I had been waiting for months for the job to be posted it finally was and yes I got interviewed for it and no I didn't get it.  Another girl in the building I'm in applied for it as well and she out did me in the interviews.  I wanted no I needed that job.  And, now I face the prospect of unemployment again in the very very near future.  I guess my life is cursed or my birthday is this is the second time since January of 2008 that I have lost a job that I have liked the week before my birthday.  Its so unfair.  This girl is not married, does not have a family to worry about and she got the job.  I don't think another job like that will come along again and jobs here are few and far between.  Michigan has the highest unemployment rate in the States and if they don't pass the unemployment extension I wont even get unemployment.  My husband is 70 and cannot find a part time job, my daughter has a mental illness and cannot work and my grandson (I'm his guardian) is learning disabled and we just pulled him from his school to home school him. 
The decision to homeschool was not made lightly but he was not making any progress in the local school that he was in.  He is due to start middle school next year and he is reading on a 2nd grade level (if that) his resource room teacher did not make one bit of progress with him at all this year.  It's so unfair but at least here he can get one to one help all the time and we can make sure that he succeeds.  He will I am sure because he is a very smart child.  So now I am looking on the internet for work sheets and books on Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading, Language Arts which are the core subjects that he must be taught the state has determined.  I have gotten some remedial reading books and work books for him.  I have downloaded some math e books for him and we went to the local Teachers store to get some other things today.

I need a break here soon or I don't know how we will survive.

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure if you are aware of this great organization in Lansing or not, but here is a link to where I used to work there:

    http://www.maro.org

    Check out there membership directory page. You may be able to contact the local (Lansing) members to get advice on the home-school for your grandson. They may also be able to help your daughter in the way of work. The acronym "MARO" stands for Michigan Association of Rehabilitation Organizations. MARO does not help people find work, but they may be able to guide you in the right direction for help. I know the local companies are Peckham, MiSILC (more for Independent Living), and Community Mental Health Board of Clinton, Eaton,and Ingham County.

    Good luck! I am sure something will turn up for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can do is pray and send you hugs your way. But prayer works wonders so wonders we will expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. Things are hard for so many all over. I will keep you and yours in my prayers. I hope you are able to find work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny,
    I'm sorry to hear about your difficult and stressful times. I will pray for you and your family.

    I am a homeschool mom to 2 children. I have experience with teaching reading to children who struggle with it. Actually, they do all the work and deserve the credit. I just guide them and determine what will work best for them.


    If you need any help and have any questions about homeschooling, I would be glad to help. You can e-mail me at HappyMaTo2@aol.com. Also, if it's easier to talk in person and chat than to use e-mail, that is fine with me too.

    Take Care,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete