Grand Haven Lighthouse

Grand Haven Lighthouse
sunset

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Birthdays

I will  have more of an update later.  Tomorrow is my birthday arn't I lucky.  But tonight we are celebrating it.  My mother is bring dinner over or supper as she calls it.  Its my all time favorite home made chicken and dumplings.  This has become a yearly tradition.  It has its roots in my fathers illness.  About 8 years ago my birthday was coming up and my parents had always taken me out to eat to celebrate.  My fathers health had started a rather rapid decline due to the complications of his diabetes.  So I knew he would be uncomfortable going out but he suggested it anyway.  I decided that mom should prepare chicken and dumplings at her house and we would come over for dinner and celebrate.  My father loved that idea and we did that for the two years he had left.  He died April 1 and he had just gotten back home from the nursing home he was in two months earlier.  So we celebrated my birthday and he even felt well enough to play a game of skipbo.  So the next year when my birthday came around I figured that the tradition would be forgotten.  I was wrong again my mother made the chicken and dumplings from scratch and for each year afterwards.  Dad has been gone 7 years this April 1 and this year as always I am awaiting my chicken and dumplings for my birthday.  Dinner is at 5 pm or as soon as my mom gets here.  Once she is gone (and I hope its not any time soon) I will not allow the tradition to continue.  Without them it would not be the same.  Instead a new tradition will take over and I just have to think about what it will be.  Now as I face my 59th year, I realize that years make you more valuable.  The clans that use to celebrate old peoples wisdom was right and today we should also realize that age is valuable as it pertains to knowledge, feelings, love and family.  Share your wealth with all you will allow you to and try to share with those that are not interested.  My love to you all

2 comments:

  1. So true. Tomorrow my dad will have been gone 15 years. We still keep with traditions he set and we do others differently.
    Have a lovely birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Penny! Many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete