Grand Haven Lighthouse

Grand Haven Lighthouse
sunset

Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday

I have been listening to the today show and heard the segment about different organizations helping kids who lost a parent in 9/11, people who have been through catastrophic events such as the earth quake in Haiti and many more things.  It's all good for those especially the kids to get this help from all the different New York organizations.  Now the But..................what about the rest of us who have been suffering just the same, the nameless, faceless individuals who since 2008 have lost their homes, their jobs and to whom that is a catastrophic event.  I have had to give up so much and since 2008 I have been downsized and lost jobs due to the budget cuts not once but twice.  Currently I have been unemployed for a year and half and beginning to doubt I will ever get a job.  I keep applying but nothing.

Not only have we lost homes, jobs etc but we are unable to pay our bills and have collectors calling day in and day out.  It's not that we don't cant to pay we can't pay.  Two people unemployed in one household, there are lots of us, are struggling just to hang on to their house and feed themselves not to mention pay utilities which has jumped over $50.00 each since last year but unemployment and social security has not and will not be raised to help compensate.

I recently read an article from a writer for the Detroit Free Press or News that stated that employers are now not hiring people regardless of qualifications because they have been unemployed for too long.  Granted my skills are probably rustier than someone who recently lost a job but they come back quickly when put to work.  I am not really trying to draw attention to myself as much as I am trying to draw attention to the hundreds of us all over the nation who are experiencing the same thing.  I am glad for the others who get to experience things that they would never get to experience because of their situation.  I just wanted to remind the people, organizations who ever that there are many of us out there who are falling between the cracks and are experiencing our type of catastrophic events.  There are lots of us out here!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of people out of work, some employable, some not. For the fourth year in a row, there was no cost of living increase for those on Social Security. Really?!? What a joke. Everything has gone up in price because gas prices have gone up. Food is more expensive, gas is more expensive... And I have to have both. I need to go to the doctor's office and the grocery store. It's been this way for a while now. Prices going up and up and up, and no raises in our SS payments. We're all in deep doo doo, now. And I don't know how to fix it. I don't have any idea of how to create American jobs, and pay American workers.

    ReplyDelete